February 9, 2007

Betty, la verde

Last night on primetime TV, Betty was outed as a "green girl" who loves the musical Wicked. Cool coincidence; I quoted lyrics from a Wicked number in my last post when I also brought up Ugly Betty, about girls who are green. I called it first! Also under the sphere of quirky coincidences, Hillary Rodham Clinton — who I also mentioned in that post — has since cited "Wizard of Oz" as one of her favourite movies. Given she refers to the movie rather than the book, this may offer some insight as to why she seeks the stage even though or perhaps because she's already seen what's behind the curtain, and I wonder if she's channeling more Judy than Dorothy at the podium.

I haven't seen Wicked or memorized the words like Betty, just leafed through the lyrics and thought, "Ah. Yes." It was still exciting to see my unoriginal-but-heartfelt line of reasoning was in line with the lines in one of my favourite shows. Yes, I did snark about a beautiful girl playing someone referred to as ugly. Otherwise, the writing is clever, the acting is spot-on for the genre, the characters keep developing depth while remaining sparkly, the level of sincerity is balanced with a wicked (!) sense of humour, and the plot twists are like those cherry red twizzlers that show up in your local corner store when you least expect it. I'm looking forward to upcoming episodes when, I hope, Henry realizes that the grass is greener where he hasn't already been.

My other new eyeball magnet on TV is Heroes, if that wasn't obvious below. Now I'm waiting for the geneticist (or the cop, or "the Haitian," or the daddy who doesn't need doors) to proclaim that his special power makes him hypersensitive to the green wavelength of the colour spectrum. It happens to be around 510 nanometers, by the way. Grass appears green because all of the colours in the visible part of the light spectrum are absorbed into the blades except for green. It's just something I know, Henry.

No comments: